Uruguayan writer born in Tacuarembo in 1969, Jorge studied architecture graduating at the Universidad de la Republica. At present he devotes all his time to his literary endeavors and his articles are published in many different mass media outlets. He also teaches Latin-American literature at the Jacksonville University in the US.
Majfud, collaborates regularly and publishes articles in newspapers such as El Pais and La Republica of Montevideo, Rebelion, Hispanic Culture Review of George Mason University, Resource Center of The Americas at Minneapolis, Milenio of Mexico, La Vanguardia of Barcelona, Tiempo del Mundo in Washington, Monthly Review and Political Affairs of New York, Jornada in La Paz, Página/12 of Buenos Aires, etc. He is also a founding member and editor of the magazine Siglo XXI/Reflexions on our time. He is a member of the Scientific Committee of the magazine Araucaria of Spain and of The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi in the US.
Majfud has received several awards in international literary contests. Amongst them are the following: mention of Honor in the Argenta XII Literary Contest in Buenos Aires, 1999. House of the Americas Prize in Havana, Cuba in 2001. Second Prize awarded at the Caja Profesional 2001Contest for the novel The Queen of America and the Excellence in Research Award for the short story Mabel Waits at the University of Georgia in 2006.
His works have been translated into English, French, Portuguese, German, Greek and Italian.
- Hacia que patrias del silencio (memoirs of a disapeared) (1996), Graffiti Editors in Montevideo (last edition: Baile del Sol, Spain 2001);
- A critique of pure passion, essays, 1998, Published by Editorial Graffiti in Montevideo (2nd. Edition - selections-: 1999, HCR, Virginia, USA; 3rd. edition: 2000, Argenta Editors, Buenos Aires; Baile del Sol, 2007);
- The queen of America, a novel (Baile del Sol, Tenerife 2002).
- Between Centuries Between Ages: Latinoamerican Authors at the end of the century, Pilar Ediçoes (Brasilia) and Bianchi Editores (Montevideo), in 1999.
- 9 Trips (Ed. Trilce, Montevideo 2002).
- The time of my life, essays (Ed. Bib. Miguel de Cervantes, Univ. de Alicante, 2004)
- A narrative of the invisible / ideological Meaning of Latin America, essays (CEPAL, 2006)
- Forgive our sins, short stories (AG EDICIONES, 2007)
- Crisis (novel, 2012)
- Cyborgs (essays, 2012)