41 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces since the Great March of Return protests began on March 30.
A female demonstrator is evacuated after inhaling tear gas fired by Israeli troops at the Israel-Gaza border [Ibraheem Abu Mustafa/Reuters]
Palestinian protesters run from tear gas launched by Israeli forces during the Great March of Return in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip [Mustafa Hassona/Anadolu Agency]
Palestinians shout slogans as they protested on Friday [Mustafa Hassona/Anadolu Agency]
Palestinians in the besieged Gaza Strip are protesting for the sixth Friday in a row as part of the Great March of Return movement.
The rallies are part of a six-week protest that will culminate on May 15 to mark what Palestinians refer to as the Nakba" or "catastrophe" - a reference to Israel's establishment in 1948 and when 750,000 Arabs were forcibly removed from Palestine.
Since the protests began on March 30, at least 41 Palestinians in the coastal enclave have been killed by Israeli forces and more than 7,000 wounded.
Marchers are demanding the right to return to their homes seized by Israel in 1948.
Here are all the latest updates as of Friday, May 4:
Dozens of Palestinians wounded in Gaza border protest
Israeli forces have fired tear gas and live rounds at Palestinian protesters on the Gaza-Israel border, wounding at least 40 people.
At least 13 people were wounded by live fire, according to the health ministry in Gaza.
Al Jazeera's Harry Fawcett, reporting from the Gaza-Israel border, said there were no reports of deaths and that the number of people injured on Friday marked "a substantial decrease" as compared to previous weeks.
But that figure could rise, he said, adding: "We have heard live fire being used on several occasions today. There has been a lot of tear gas, a lot of warnings coming from the Israeli side."
Protesters burned tyres at the site sending black smoke billowing into the air.
Palestinians with their faces painted like characters from the movie 'Avatar' pose for a picture at the Israel-Gaza border [Said Khatib/AFP]
Naming the dead
These are the 41 Palestinians that have been killed by Israel since the start of the protests:
- Mohammed Naeem Abu Amr, 27, died on March 30
- Amin Mansour Abu Muammar, 22, died on March 30
- Mohammed Najjar 25, died on March 30
- Ahmed Odeh, 19, died on March 30
- Mahmoud Saadi Rahmi, 33, died on March 30
- Abdelfattah Abdelnabi, 19, died on March 30
- Jihad Freneh, 33, died on March 30
- Ibrahim Abu Shaar, 22, died on March 30
- Abdelqader Al-Hawajri, 42, died on March 30
- Jihad Abu Jamous, 30, died on March 30
- Bader al-Sabbagh, 22, died on March 30
- Naji Abu Hujeir, 25, died on March 30
- Fares Al-Raqab, 29, died on March 30
- Ahmed Omar Arafeh, 25, died on March 30
- Omar Wahid Samour, 28, died on March 30
- Shadi Hamdan al-Kashif, 34, Rafah, succumbed to his wounds on April 5 from injuries sustained on March 30
- Thaer Mohammed Rabea, 30, succumbed to his wounds on April 6 from injuries sustained on March 30
- Ahmed Nizar Muhareb, 29, died on April 6
- Usama Khamis Qudeih, 38, died on April 6
- Majdi Ramadan Shabat, 38, died on April 6
- Hussein Mohammed Madi, 16, died on April 6
- Ibrahim Al-Err, 20, died on April 6
- Mohammed Saeed Saleh, 33, died on April 6
- Alaa Zamli, 17, died on April 6
- Sedqi Faraj Abu Atewi, 45, died on April 6
- Alaa Eddine Yahya Al-Zamli, 15, died on April 6
- Hamza Abdel Al-Aal, died on April 6
- Yaser Murtaja, 30, succumbed to his wounds on April 7 from injuries sustained on April 6
- Marwan Awdeh Qadeih, 45, died on April 9
- Mohammed Abu Hajeela, 31, died on April 12
- Abdallah Al-Shahri, 28, died on April 14
- Ahmed Abu Aqil, 25, died on April 20
- Ahmed Rashad, 24, died on April 20
- Mohammed Ibrahim Ayyoub, 15, died on April 20
- Saad Abdul Majid Abdul-Aal Abu Taha, 29, died on April 20
- Ahmad Abu Hussein, 24, succumbed to his wounds on April 25 from injuries sustained on April 13
- Khalil Atallah, 22, died on April 27
- Muhammad Amin al-Muqid, 21, died on April 27
- Abd al-Salam Eid Zuhdi Baker, 33, died on April 27
- Azzam Oweida, 15, died on April 27
- Anas Abu Asser, 19 years old, succumbed to his wounds on May 3 from injuries sustained on April 27
A Palestinian protester wears a tyre on his head with an onion (to protect himself from tear gas) dangling from it [Hosam Salem/Al Jazeera]
Courtesy of Aljazeera
Publication date of original article: 04/05/2018
URL of this page : http://www.tlaxcala-int.org/article.asp?reference=23326